aspect ratios are going the wrong way

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 14 18:54:52 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 02:37:06PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> Dell has a new 29" monitor on sale today for $529.99
> <http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=225-4201>
>
> Pixel count: 2560 x 1080
> That's 4^3 : 3^3!
>
> We went from 4:3  (old fashioned TV, 20th centurty monitors)
> to 4^1.63 : 3^1.63 (1920:1200)
> to 4^2 : 3^2 (HD TV)
> to 4^3 : 3^3 (this goofy monitor)
>
> 16:12 == 4:3
> 16:10 == 1920:1200 == 2560:1600 (the best ratio you can get these days)
> 16:9 == 4^2 : 3^2
> 16:6.75 == 4^3 : 3^3
>
> So two of these monitors, stacked, would be fairly close to good old
> fashioned 4:3.
>
> In the limit, we will have a single row of pixels stretching around
> the room.

Well 16:9 is popular because that's what HDTV uses.

I think Dell is aiming that one at people that like two monitors side
by side, but hate the bezel down the middle (which really is annoying).

So you are essentially getting two 1280x1080 displays side by side
without the bezel in the middle.

Also a lot of movie theatres are 2.35:1 these days which matches pretty
much what this does.

And it is conviniently the 2560 width of the 30" monsters, but with 1080
height matching full HD video height.  Seems like it is somewhat a 30"
2560x1600 panel cut down in height.  Probably not quite that simple
though.  I know they also have 2560x1440 screens.

--
Len Sorensen