Mir, the next generation of X

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 14 14:47:26 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 12:17:03AM -0400, Antonio Sun wrote:
> Ubuntu has an ambitious plan to develope a next generation display server
> known as Mir <http://launchpad.net/mir>.
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MirSpec
>
> To be honest, I wasn't even following the Wayland / Weston attempts. Now
> that Ubuntu already has its own Ubuntu phone and Ubuntu tablets, I start to
> wonder if this thing is going to fly. What do you think? Is Ubuntu pushing
> Mir forward single-handed, or some other players are in the ring as well?
>
> Personally I don't like Ubuntu's Unity interface, and Qt, which is what Mir
> is based on. But I'd like to hear you view on this.

Well at this point Ubuntu is the only user left of upstart as far as
I know, and no one else cares.  They are the only user of Unity, and
no one else wants to touch it.  Not sure why they think this will make
anyone care either.

Getting rid of X11 would be like trying to release a version of Windows
that didn't run existing windows applications.  Sure getting rid of an
old API might be desirable, but people want to be able to actually do
useful things with it too.

--
Len Sorensen