Mir, the next generation of X

Antonio Sun antoniosun-N9AOi2cAC9ZBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 14 04:17:03 UTC 2013

Ubuntu has an ambitious plan to develope a next generation display server
known as Mir <http://launchpad.net/mir>.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MirSpec

To be honest, I wasn't even following the Wayland / Weston attempts. Now
that Ubuntu already has its own Ubuntu phone and Ubuntu tablets, I start to
wonder if this thing is going to fly. What do you think? Is Ubuntu pushing
Mir forward single-handed, or some other players are in the ring as well?

Personally I don't like Ubuntu's Unity interface, and Qt, which is what Mir
is based on. But I'd like to hear you view on this.

Please comment.

Thanks