Some people call Linus Torvalds "rude". I call him "honest".

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 13 15:45:01 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 11:09:23PM -0400, Antonio Sun wrote:
> Thanks for the detailed explanation.  I sense reasons to avoid windows 8
> all over the places. Those poor guys who got the 'windows 8' logoed PCs, do
> they know exactly what they are buying? well I guest most of them don't
> care, but , can they still boot their old CD/DVDs?

Only if they change the secureboot setting to off in the UEFI firmware.

I believe Microsoft says it expects PC makers to have such a setting,
and at one point I thought they said it was requried to get certified,
but I am not so sure about that.

> I'm considering to buy a new PC, but I guess I better to wait until I'm
> able to boot Linux from it, and the booting easy enough so that I don't
> have to jump through several hoops to make it happen.

Waiting won't change anything.  If you can disable secureboot, then you
should be fine.  If you can actually control secureboot then that's an
even better design.

Those of us that buy parts and build our own don't have a problem so far.

--
Len Sorensen