Following up on tonight's talk, Micro Controller Usb Devices

Mel Wilson mwilson-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 13 11:38:58 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-03-12 at 23:54 -0400, Antonio Sun wrote:
[ ... ]
> - Beside programming MC to provide the above read/write, what other
> typical things you can program the MC to do? I guess you can use
> complicated logic when programming it, right?
> - Do you think the following would be a typical real-life usage of the
> MCs? You write to MC a certain bytes, representing some certain
> commands/instructions; MC correctly interprets those instructions and
> "calls" the "predefined procedures" to carry out the tasks. Then you
> send out the instruction for reading back the data, and then read them
> back, right?

Arduino is a really good platform to use to get familiar with these
issues.  The hardware is affordable even though it isn't cheap, and the
free IDE and libraries and bootloader are completely worth it when
you're starting out.  The Arduino programming language is fundamentally
standard C with a touch of C++; C is the preferred language for
microcontroller programming now so you won't be led astray.

There are zillions of other peoples' projects on the web to compare
yours with.  Mine is kind of esoteric, but it's at
<http://www.melwilsonsoftware.ca/wiz5100/> for what it's worth.

Typical Arduino projects communicate using USART serial links over an
on-board USB/serial adapter.  Jan didn't talk much about the
microcontroller side of the USB link, except to say that it's very
complicated for the developer, which it is, and that sample
implementations are provided by the microcontroller manufacturers, which
they are.  The difficulties can be overcome; I've seen people do it.
It'll just take work.

	Mel.