Canada Computers selling a PC with a GPL'd OS pre-installed

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 13 00:04:53 UTC 2013

On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 15:35:47 -0400
Scott Sullivan <scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Now that I have your hopes up, read the specs carefully.
>
> Sapphire Edge VS4 (4H000-08-40G) Mini PC
> - AMD APU A4 1.9GHz, 4GB DDR3, 320GB HDD
> - AMD RadeonTM HD7400G, Pre-installed FreeDOS, Support Windows 8
>
> http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=7_1157&item_id=056104
> http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=6&gid=1186&sgid=1189&pid=1746&psn=&lid=1&leg=0
>

> Yes... FreeDOS.
>
> I know it's not Linux, but short of building your own machine, this is
> the closest to "sell me a bare, but pre-built machine" I've seen. Aka,
> No Windows Tax

Scott,

   A few years ago, I bought an Acer Aspire 3623 with something called Linpus Linux on it.  This was not at all functional, and I quickly replaced it with Fedora_3.  The machine is now retired, primarily because the keyboard sucks.  I am now happy with my Fujitsu Lifebook.  I touch type.  An encrypted /home partition, a long encryption key, touch typing and a bad keyboard do not work.  :(

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howard.gibson-PadmjKOQAFnQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org