Canada Computers selling a PC with a GPL'd OS pre-installed

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 12 20:13:58 UTC 2013

| From: Scott Sullivan <scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org>

| Yes... FreeDOS.
|
| I know it's not Linux, but short of building your own machine, this is the
| closest to "sell me a bare, but pre-built machine" I've seen. Aka, No Windows
| Tax

As I reported here in August 2010, you could get Acer Revo systems
with FreeDOS.  In the description, they were called "linux boot" but
no Linux was supplied!  (The Acer Revo is very much like the Asus
Saphire.)

I guess that Microsoft strongarmed manufacturers to not deliver "naked
PCs" (that was the terminology in Microsoft's advertising that implied it
was improper and immoral).

Heck, I remember buying Dell UNIX (circa 1990, System V release 4 for
i386) that came with MS-DOS, whether you wanted it or not!

You can a very few Dell Vostro notebooks with Ubuntu and no Microsoft
license.