Some people call Linus Torvalds "rude". I call him "honest".

Antonio Sun antoniosun-N9AOi2cAC9ZBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 9 15:46:37 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 12:07 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>wrote:

Microsoft really is at war with Linux.  Giving them the "keys to the
> kingdom" would seem quite foolish.  Better to force a new Linux-wide
> signing authority to be created.

. . .

> Remember Microsoft's telling us we should trust ActiveX over the web?
> After all, all ActiveX modules were signed.  But all that proved was that
> Microsoft believed that the module it signed came from the source who had
> paid a license fee and agreed to license terms.  No verification of the
> code was involved.  Punishment for a discovered violation was loss of the
> license AFTER THE FACT.  No sandboxing or any other technical control.
> This went on for years.  Pathetic.

What's that Microsoft Window8's booting all about?

I have to admit that I haven't been paying attention to news from Windows
world, except that all Microsoft's decisions are becoming more and more
insane, it's new logo, UI, booting, etc, which explains why the new
Window's products has now become the **biggest failure* . (*Ref:
http://www.zdnet.com/five-reasons-why-windows-8-has-failed-7000012104/, "The
numbers are in and they don't lie. Windows 8 market adoption numbers are
well behind Microsoft's greatest previous operating system failure, Vista.",
"*neither Windows 8 nor its cousins Windows RT and Windows Phone 8 even
appear on NetApplication's mobile and tablet reports for February 2013. How
bad is that? Android 1.6, with is tiny 0.02% of the market, does make the
list*.")

So back to to Window8's booting, when I first heard it, I knew Microsoft is
clearly waging wars against Linux, and I was thinking the Linux world must
have ways to retaliate. Now that it's becoming an unresolved issue, I'm
wondering, how it can be technically possible for Microsoft to control a PC
only boots into its Windows, but not other OSs?

Thanks