Need a Dual Band Wireless Router

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 7 16:02:02 UTC 2013

On 2013-02-25 12:21 PM, "Lennart Sorensen" <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>
wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 04:14:44PM -0500, Thomas Milne wrote:
> > Way back in 2011, Lennart was recommending the D-Link router, the DIR825
> > rev B. Unfortunately it doesn't appear on Canada Computers site or
anywhere
> > else I can find.
> >
> > It seems to still be available from d-linkshop.ca as a 'Top Seller' but
it
> > doesn't show whether it is the preferred 'rev B'.
> >
> > Is there something comparable, particularly with Shareport, that is
> > likewise recommended?
>
> See if you can find this: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/buffalo/wzr-600dhp
>
> 680MHz CPU, 32MB flash and 128MB ram and dual band is about as good as
> it gets.
>
> $100 at NCIX in markham.  Out of stock at canadacomputers (but $84).

Got it and it seems awesome so far. I've got the router up in the kitchen,
with both Playstations in the basement rooms streaming video from
MyBookWorld, plus my phone and the iPad streaming Youtube (nothing HD mind
you) and no hiccups I can notice.

The 5Ghz light isn't even blinking...weird.

Thanks for the recommendation, you've never steered me wrong. The router
even has something called a Movie Engine, not a clue what that does, and of
course I still have to explore the other firmware option.

Amazing. Thanks man.