Anyone want a Cubox?

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 7 11:48:15 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-03 11:08 PM, "D. Hugh Redelmeier" <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> | From: Thomas Milne <thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>
> | Unfortunately the Cubox doesn't even work any more.
> |
> | Apparently plugging in a USB key as the instructions suggested with a
new
> | microsd card have now ruined the device. I put the old microsd back in
but
> | it doesn't boot.
>
> That sounds odd.  The device specs don't suggest that there is any
> state in the device to screw up past a power cycle.  All the state
> lives in external stuff (MicroSD card and disks).
>
> Were you reflashing the boot ROM?  That surely is internal state.

That is likely correct. One of the recommended steps was to install a new
u-boot, so I included that.

The instructions said that the latest installer supports HDMI. It didn't.
Tried connecting to a terminal but failed. So I had to shut it down and try
again.

Somewhere in there I lost the boot ROM. I guess I'll get around to fixing
it, but right now I need to focus on getting something running for my kids
to use. We got the new router that Lennart recommended and tonight we go to
the Apple Store. I'm looking at the entry level iMac, but I can't decide
between getting the extra RAM or the awesome Fusion Drive. Probably Fusion
Drive.

> | Good job guys, fantastic device.
>
> It sounds like you are addressing us, but I presume that you are
> really addressing Solid Run.

Sorry, ya, wasn't aiming very good was I? I think I had reason to be
frustrated. They've had like over a year to work on this installer, and it
can't even do the most basic thing it promised to do two versions ago?
REALLY?

> | Nice knowin yall but I'm done with this bullshit.
>
> Again, it sounds like you are addressing us.  And that you are unhappy
> with how we've treated you.  In fact, we've tried to be helpful.

That is very true. I hope no one on here took anything I said personally.
Just lost my temper. I've had really awful luck with stuff breaking down
lately so I snapped. I have been helped by many people many times over
many...many years. This also is not the first time I've blown my lid...

> | When I can pay a thousand
> | bucks and just have everything I want, hacking around with Linux is just
> | retarded.
>
> I agree: if the cost of everything you want is a thousand dollars,
> you'd be a fool to do anything else.  I cannot imagine a thousand
> dollar purchase satisfying all my wants.

No argument there. I am actually more pissed at myself than anything. With
what I've spent in the last year on various, relatively small projects that
came to  nothing, I could have bought my kids a Mac. Which they do actually
kinda need.

So anyway, as I hope is obvious, this is nothing to do with anyone here,
and I apologize for the unwarranted shot at Linux and hackers and so on,
it's just my personal shit.

> As far as hacking around, I find Windows is harder to bend to my will
> than Linux.  The only advantage of Windows is that most battles are
> short, (leading to my defeat); my battles with Linux are generally
> longer but I win most of them.

I never said nuthin about resorting to Windows ;)

Again, my apologies to all and really appreciate that you took the time to
respond.