YAHDF (Yet Another Hard Drive Failure?)

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 7 05:19:22 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 02:50:54PM -0500, Peter King wrote:
> Booted from a CD located at /dev/sr0, copied the contents of the defective
> drive (/dev/sda) to the replacement drive (/dev/sdb). Then chrooted into the
> replacement drive so as to install grub manually. Dropped into the grub
> shell, and...
>
>    What the heck is the grub "name" of the drive I want to install it on?

If you just did

    mount /dev/sdb /mnt
    chroot /mnt

then it's crab shoot.  You were lucky that your guess was the same as
GRUB's.  Proper way to do this is

    mount /dev/sdb /mnt
    for i in dev proc sys run; do
	mount -B /$i /mnt/$i
    done
    chroot /mnt

where you duplicate parent system environment under /mnt.  Then, you
definitely know that /dev/sdb is what you want.

One thing is not clear.  Did you leave the old /dev/sda in, and just
rebooted?  In that case, you're still booting off the old disk, and using
the kernel and root partition from the new SSD.
--
William