War Story: HP 2000 Laptop

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 7 02:33:46 UTC 2013

On 3/6/13, Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 03:49:09PM -0500, Christopher Browne wrote
>
>> Yep, ralink sounds right.  It's presently on 2.6.something; I'll see
>> about switching to something modern-ish, and see how that turns out.
>
>   Can the install CD give a commandline tty or a terminal?  From there
> try...
>
> lspci -v | less

A bit more targeted is thus...

root at hpaq:~# lspci | egrep '(Network|Realtek)'
01:00.0 Network controller: Ralink corp. Device 539b
02:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTS5229 PCI Express Card Reader (rev 01)
08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 05)

That validates Lennart's speculation, yes, indeed, Ralink Wifi.