War Story: HP 2000 Laptop

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 6 22:17:20 UTC 2013

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>   I briefly set it to "bilingual" mode; I couldn't figure out a way of getting
> | important characters like <, >, |, which matter rather a lot in shell.
> | That was a serious mistake.
>
> Ubuntu has a guess-your-keyboard-layout feature when you are
> installing.  Even with that, I couldn't get a bilinugual keyboard
> configured properly.
>
> I'm too lazy to do whatever hard work is required.  But if somebody
> else figures it out, I'm interested.
>
> My understanding is that the layout is a Canadian Standard.  But I
> didn't track down a copy of it (I don't remember if it cost money --
> I hate when they charge for standards).

I configure my computers for U.S. International.  It's largely the U.S.
Standard keyboard, but uses the right Alt key to get the other
characters.  It would be nice if the keyboards sold here had that
layout, with the special characters included on the keytops.

Here's an article showing the various keyboard layouts:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout