YAHDF (Yet Another Hard Drive Failure?)

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 6 21:44:12 UTC 2013

| To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org

| I replaced the questionable hard drive with an SSD, without loss of data,
| and (much to my surprise) everything went reasonably smoothly.

Congratulations!

| Booted from a CD located at /dev/sr0, copied the contents of the defective
| drive (/dev/sda) to the replacement drive (/dev/sdb). Then chrooted into the
| replacement drive so as to install grub manually. Dropped into the grub
| shell, and...
|
|    What the heck is the grub "name" of the drive I want to install it on?

Drive names are not safe or stable.  That's why all the distros I use
seem to refer to partitions via UUIDs.

I think GRUB lets the BIOS determine the enumeration of drives.  I
think Linux (in recent years) has its own enumberation which can have
races, yielding unstable names.  Note: this is based on
half-remembered information and could be wrong.