War Story: HP 2000 Laptop

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 6 21:30:58 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 03:49:09PM -0500, Christopher Browne wrote:
> Yep, I expect I'll want to poke at xmodmap to map several of those onto
> Control.
>
> I briefly set it to "bilingual" mode; I couldn't figure out a way of getting
> important characters like <, >, |, which matter rather a lot in shell.
> That was a serious mistake.

My wife's ideapad Y470 came with a bilingual keyboard, but she never did
figure out how to make it do what the symbols claimed it should be able
to do.  When it broke (due to excessive cat impact), I just replaced it
with a US keyboard which is much nicer to work with.

> Hmm.  I should probably poke at that a little.  Nice to get it booting
> both ways.

Well if EFI booting works, then why bother booting legacy anymore?

> Yep, ralink sounds right.  It's presently on 2.6.something; I'll see about
> switching to something modern-ish, and see how that turns out.
>
> Tempting, for sure.  Supporting up to 32GB of memory is pretty
> spectacular, for a laptop.  I wasn't keen on ~$900.  Mind you, my
> Macbook, which cost ~$1300, once upon a time, has gotten pretty
> ratty, and the W530 is wildly more powerful despite being quite a bit
> cheaper.

Mine came with 2x4GB, and I added 2x8GB more just because well it was
cheap at canada computers to buy more ram and there was two empty slots
in the laptop that could be filled.  I got mine with the K2000M video and
the 1920x1080 screen and the backlit US keyboard (the backlit keyboard
is great in the dark, well worth the extra $40).  And of course the 6300
wifi module that has 3x3 antenna setup dual band.  Only thing I wish
it had was eSata, but USB3 will have to do unless I get an expresscard
esata card.  I should also pick up a displayport to HDMI adapter to have
around for it.

--
Len Sorensen