War Story: HP 2000 Laptop

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 6 20:07:07 UTC 2013

An old laptop (IBM Thinkpad T43) recently died on me, so I have been
poking around at laptop options.  The one that finally tempted me into
a buy was an HP 2000 2b53CA that is on sale at $339 at Costco.  That
is a bit time sensitive; I think the sale ends tomorrow or Friday.

I'm collecting my notes here:
 http://linuxdatabases.info/info/hpaq.html

It's pretty basic hardware:
- 15.6" screen
- 4GB memory, expandable to 8
- Pentium B980

It uses UEFI by default; hitting "F10" during boot allows switching to
"legacy" BIOS, which was suitable to let me toss in a Debian CD
(6.0.5 netinst), which recognized enough hardware to get me on
network.  It spent last night installing 1300-ish packages, and is
further, today, upgrading those to testing.

It's early to say "everything's good"; I should have better answers
on that tomorrow, notably relating to wireless (which I haven't tried
to play with).  But it's all looking promising.