YAHDF (Yet Another Hard Drive Failure?)

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 6 06:42:50 UTC 2013

| From: Peter King <peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>

It does look like a hard drive failure.

You could boot from a CD and peer at the drive with smartctl.

| The hard drive at issue is, naturally, the one containing /boot and /.

On my system, that would be the best stuff to lose: just re-install.
/home is more critical.

That's why I use my SSD for /: I don't mind losing it.  And I have
lost an SSD (still under warranty).  It was my first SSD, so that
isn't a great track record.

I don't have a /boot.  Can anyone explain why having one would be a
win for me?  I don't use RAID (one possible reason).