Top Post vs Bottom Post (was: Fedora-18 -- how to install?)

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 5 20:17:58 UTC 2013

Totally agree. Sorry, Hugh. Long live Top Posting!

Peter

> I can't believe that you guys are having this conversation.
>
> It's not 1990. The majority of web, corporate and smartphone clients use
> top posting.
>
> Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to scroll down an entire email
> thread that gets shifted bit by bit to the right on a smart phone?
>

> On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 2:29 PM, William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Main advantages of top-posting are as follows:
>>     - You know what's on the top is new content.
>>     - You get the latest exchanges in chronological order, which can be
>>       trimmed if it gets too long.  This is useful if you need to print
>>       it on paper.
>>     - In Outlook, bottom-posting gets very messy very quick, even with
>>       threading (aka. Conversation mode).
>>     - Your boss/coworker most likely use Outlook.
>>     - Getting paid is better than trying to convert people.
>> --
>> William

>> email,
>> body.
>> start
>> >
>> > The entire conversation in reverse order.  It never has been very
>> > readable, and always becomes very unclear as soon as it is a reply to
>> > anything discussing multiple things.  How do you tell what parts you
>> > are replying to?
>> >
>> > You can save the entire conversation by never deleting anything and
>> just
>> > quoting every time.  That is readable, and maintains order, and makes
>> > it clear what you are replying to inline.
>> >
>> > Of course most people don't want to have the entire conversation
>> repeated
>> > in every email.
>> --
>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/

Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto
http://www.syscompdesign.com
USB Oscilloscope and Waveform Generator
647-839-0325