chipset fan on VIA KT400

Molly Tournquist mollytournquist-ifvz4xmYPRU at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 5 00:12:55 UTC 2013

I believe that from that era, it was the nforce chipsets that produced tons of heat, The fan might have been there because of being cheaper than a decent size heatsink, and a better failsafe against lots of dust and bad airflow. Or, putting those two things together, it might have looked inadequate compared to nforce boards, but even some of those had passive cooling, albeit with pretty solid heatsinks.

If you were willing to replace the heatsink on that ... like, if you think it might be a good idea to get some practice, and try it to see what the result would be, a 4 x 4 x 2.5 cm heatsink, or even something of similar size and weirder shape, should work well.

Anyone trying out sawwing down a bigger heatsink, be careful not to hurt yourself!