good deal for monitor (today-only)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 4 20:00:49 UTC 2013

On Sat, Mar 02, 2013 at 03:41:02PM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> <http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX43001>
> 21.5" monitor at MemoryExpress.com for $109.99 + 4.99 shipping
>
> Why do I think that this is good?
>
> IPS (In Plane Switching) LCD is much better than TN, the normal
> inexpensive LCD technology.  The best prices for IPS monitors are usually
> closer to $200 rather than $100.

Well it appears from what I can find to be e-IPS, which is nowhere near
as nice as the full IPS, but still beats TN.  Real IPS also costs a lot
more than e-IPS, which is why some screens now use it.

See
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/content/panel_technologies_content.htm#e-ips
for en explanation of the difference it makes.

Note that E-IPS and e-IPS are not the same thing.

> 1920x1080, the highest mainstream resolution.  Almost assumed these days.

I still want 1920x1200 24" or better for a desktop display.  I will
tolerate 1920x1080 on my laptop.

> LED backlight.  More efficient than CFL, but fairly common these days
>
> Three inputs: HDMI, DVI-D, and D-Sub.  Of course it would be nice if it
> had even more inputs, but this is generous for this low price.

Yeah more inputs adds to the cost.

> Headphone out (surely only for sound coming from HDMI).  No
> built-in speaker, but still useful.  Many monitors have no provision for
> sound.

For sure.

--
Len Sorensen