The End of Eco-Fees?

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 30 23:24:43 UTC 2013

> Personally, I think it is a good thing. I suspect that $10 speakers will
> have a fairly short use-life compared to speakers requiring a larger
> investment.
>
> We have a serious problem in our society of building environmentally
> damaging disposable products. These fees help put a bottom on the level
> of quality as well as fund programs to deal with the inevitable waste.

Totally agree. Taxes sometimes are not just revenue resources for
government,  taxes can be used to change people's behavior and walking away
from a cheap speaker may actually be what the government  intended.

We can say the same thing about cigarette, they are taxed heavily to
discourage the habit. It would make economy better temporary  if we can
sell more cigarettes , but you are just offloading the problem to the
larger community later as the government will have to take care of you once
you fall sick