long article about EU legislation vs. extrateritorriality of US FISA etc. rules

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 24 19:37:03 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Ken Heard <kenslists-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Oh: and don't use the cloud.
>
> Not even the open source ones using the OpenStack software such as
> Cloudwatt, DreamCompute, eNocloud, HP, Rackspace and Ulticloud, and even
> if I encrypt every file I store there?  I am not using the cloud yet but
> am thinking of doing so.

I suppose that one way to think about it is that if you use virtualization,
then you make
it very easy for nefarious people to make a copy of your environment to use
for whatever
their nefarious purposes were.

That is a difference between using a VPS and a "real" server.

I'm not sure I'd agree that it is crucial.  The paravirtualization
environments are good enough, these days, that I suspect that a Nefarious
So And So could pretty likely clone disk drives and build a virtualized
copy; all a physical server does is to slightly inconvenience them.

But perhaps I'm reading too much into what Hugh said.  Alas, the term
"cloud" has nearly as many differing meanings as does the term "cluster."