Exchange active sync on Linux

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 17 14:59:26 UTC 2013

William Muriithi wrote:

> Morning,
>
> I am curious if anyone here know of ways around getting mails to
> mobile devices other than using Microsoft Exchange.
>
> We have an old 2003 installation that need updating but I would like
> to check out alternatives out that I may do similar things. We are
> also weak on Microsoft technology so something on a platform that we
> use daily would be a great fit.
>
> Don't seem to be lucky with Google. The only thing that came up was
> SOGo and it seems like one need to install a client on the phones :(
> It really looks great on other aspects.
>
> Regards
>
> William

Any IMAP server should be able to do that.  I have my own IMAP server on
my home computer and mail is available on my smart phone and tablet.  I
also did the same at work, almost 2 years ago.  Google also supports
IMAP and there are GMail apps for smart phones and tablets.  In fact,
there's a GMail app included with Android.