Commands with options: (was: war story: parallel(1) command)

staticsafe me-3ZSMZGRXU0K2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 28 21:15:03 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 03:55:44PM -0400, phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org wrote:
 Incidentally, for me the most useable solution for identifying directories
> has been
> ls -colour | more.
> The directories are a different colour. However, I suspect that's not
> totally portable either.
>

> Peter
>

> --
> Peter Hiscocks
> Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto
> http://www.syscompdesign.com
> USB Oscilloscope and Waveform Generator
> 647-839-0325

According to the ls manpage (Debian 7):
Using color to distinguish file types is disabled both by default and
with --color=never.  With --color=auto, ls emits color codes only when
standard output is connected to a terminal.  The LS_COLORS environment
variable  can  change  the  settings.

Setting LS_COLORS to auto will make it so that you don't have to type ls
--color everytime.
--
staticsafe
Please don't top post.