quantum computing

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 24 16:42:00 UTC 2013

On 24/07/13 20:10, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>
> | All this corresponds well to information on this site:
> |
> | http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1318987
>
> To be blunt, that seems like a puff piece.  It says
> (1) quanum computing will be important, and
> (2) RQC will be important, and
> (3) RQC will try to involve scientists from anywhere and everywhere.
> Only (3) seems informative.
>
> | Myself, when I am in particular harsh I can put my bits of Nvidia dynamic
> | parallelism into qubits as well.
>
> Sorry, I don't quite understand this sentence.  Are you saying Nvidia
> GPU computing is more effective than quantum computing?  That is
> certainly true right now.  The hope is that this will change.
>
> | The thing I miss in these stories is how these qubits work (in terms of
> | physics). I understand that no one will tell. My work in physics is remotely
> | related to qubits but when I mention just bits in my research paper for
> | publication - they refuse to publish it.
>
> How qubits work is pretty tricky / counter-intuitive.  At least I
> think so: I've only read a few popularizations, so I'm not an expert.
>
> But there are lots and lots of places where you can get explanations.
> You could start with <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computer>
>
> It would be helpful to remembering more algebra than I do.

The point is I did my PhD on superconductivity. Well, just experimental,
not theory.

Jamon Camisso wrote:
----

D-wave have good material on their site explaining how the circuity works:

http://www.dwavesys.com/en/dev-tutorial-hardware.html

----

Still can not quite understand the physics behind this. That may change
once I put more time into the subject and reading the above article.
Much more time.

And small remarks.

1. If a governement of super-hiper huge influential company needed to
have a super-hipercomputer that must work cooled by liquid Helium - that
is not a problem for them. We can not have it.

2. The thing is rather to create a toy that will work at 300 K. That
involves research on semiconductor nanostructures (who knows if that
makes sense at all, for this aim)

3. Do we need that at all? For what a f*ck? Would not we should first
know what for we need that? OK, this is question without an answer...