ubuntu 12.04 sound problem

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 18 14:12:09 UTC 2013

| From: Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| To my some surprise, I found that Linux is installed on existing NTFS. There I
| was confused: it gave me 28 GB for Linux.

I've no experience with it, but I guess you are using WUBI.  That's a
remarkable mechanism.

But I'd avoid it:

- it adds another layer of filesystem

- slows down disk accesses

- lets Ubuntu and Windows accidentally interact (interfere) a lot of
  new ways.

- Since it isn't supported in Ubuntu 12.10 or 13.04, I wonder if it
  is being phased out (I don't know).  Oh, you can install 12.04 and
  then upgrade to 12.10 (but not 13.04).

- Since it doesn't work with UEFI or Win 8 it is probably going to
  fade away.

Before you commit too much to this Ubuntu installation, consider
re-installing the old way (a separate set of partitions).

| Still do not quite understand that but I worked around: under /host (where
| there was a lot of free space) I created a directory
| /host/home and /host/home/my_username and copied all files from
| /home/my_username to that direcory, creating instead a symlink from
| /home_my_username

I am superstitious about this kind of thing.  Why not actually change
your home directory to /host/home/my_username, avoiding the symlink?