ubuntu 12.04 sound problem

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 18 09:47:36 UTC 2013

Dears,

This is a fresh installation except I messed up something already ;)

A Dell notebook.

I used a quite default installation method, burning a DVD from ubuntu
site and running installation from there.

Existing Windows is preserved.

To my some surprise, I found that Linux is installed on existing NTFS.
There I was confused: it gave me 28 GB for Linux.
Still do not quite understand that but I worked around: under /host
(where there was a lot of free space) I created a directory
/host/home and /host/home/my_username and copied all files from
/home/my_username to that direcory, creating instead a symlink from
/home_my_username

Now, I have a lot of space but... is it possible that that killed my sound?

In System Settings -> Sound no any devices show up.

In Windows sound works.

When I change user to Guest - devices are listed properly in System
Settings -> Sound

I did googling, and messing up around, but no solution found yet.

zb.