Ubuntu 12.04 and Unity Desktop

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 13 12:11:46 UTC 2013

Hey all,

My daughter has an Asus EEE netbook that stopped booting Win 7, so rather
than try to salvage that nonsense I made a bootable USB from Unetbootin
with the LTS version of Ubuntu and installed that, and to Ubuntu's credit
it went off without a hitch.

I was prepared for some brutality after what I had heard on here about
Unity, but I have to say I don't see what people are so riled about. It's
different than the usual Gnome2/Win98 kind of configuration and so on, but
I don't see how it's less intuitive.

Unity actually seems pretty familiar to me now that I've been using the
iMac for awhile, although I would in no way say that Unity is as good or as
polished obviously.

Ubuntu definitely did it's job in this case, everything worked as it should
(except for the volume controls on the keyboard), and Unity certainly seems
just as intuitive and useable to me as any other desktop. I admit I didn't
spend any time calculating the number of 'clicks' it took me to open an
application... ;-)

I would still stick with Debian for my own desktops and so on, but Ubuntu
did a fantastic job in this case.

--
Thomas Milne