Linux CAD software recommendation?

Peter plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 5 19:37:29 UTC 2013

Howard Gibson <hgibson at ...> writes:

> 2D CAD software allows you to draw stuff to scale, then apply intelligent
> dimensions, that update when you
> stretch the feature.  This is what the original poster needs, I think.

Measure 10 times, check 11 times, cut once, start over. It's the standard
way to make hardware more complex than 3 parts held together with 2 screws.
Nothing new about that I'm afraid. I would like to see more 3d interaction
model-able CAD systems where you can move the parts and see what bumps into
what when. Blender is the only 3d package which is almost able to do that,
and it is in the reprap list linked on this thread before. I more people
should put their weight behind the CAD patches to Blender and help it
achieve 'critical mass'. Blender is free, too, and well-proven in animation
and technical animation. I used it to make a 3d animated model of a small
cnc machine before. Works fine.

-- Peter