10 Myths About Systemd

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 31 16:08:00 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 6:44 AM, Michael Hill <mdhillca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 7:21 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> I'd be interested in an in-depth talk about the plumbing of systemd:
>> what happens underneath.  Systemd seems to be more than just an init
>> replacement, it seems to be the conductor of the system.
>
> Hugh, Lennart Poettering will be giving one of two systemd
> presentations this weekend at FOSDEM, as well as a couple of talks at
> DevConf.cz late in February. I'll be at the latter for a GNOME docs
> hackfest--I can ask Lennart if he's ever in Toronto on a Tuesday.
>
> Here's the latest installment of his systemd for Administrators (the
> previous 18 are linked near the top):
>
> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/detect-virt.html

The most cogent counterargument that I have seen is this one:

<http://www.pappp.net/?p=969>

There are definitely some things there worth quibbling with.

The notable one is where PAPPP complains:
  "This program is not intended to be used by scripts or other programs"

That would be fair comment were it not that there's an intended "out"
for scripts and other programs to use, namely udisks2-daemon

There are complaints about udisks2-daemon:
http://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/03/11/udisks2-another-loss-for-linux/

I'm not sure (see docs:
<http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/udisks2-20110628/udisksctl.1.html>)
if it is the case that the "published accesses" are inadequate.

There's also a "flame war" that has harvested things that seem worth
looking at: <http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4383243>

I think it's a fascinating idea to consider replacing traditional init
with something else, and have long thought it to be so.  But it's not
obvious to me that the direction taken with systemd is quite right.
It sure looks like it's being created for the convenience of certain
applications, rather than broad improvement of the "initialization
condition," which seems wrong.