[Solved] CD Ripper box

Richard Weait richard-gNTHUr35LhcAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 29 18:36:33 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Stewart C. Russell <scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
[ ... ]

> I think I have a bunch of drives, if anyone has the case. It doesn't
> need to be much of a machine, as what takes far longer than ripping is
> verifying metadata and rip quality. Musicbrainz, freedb, and lots of
> little data check scripts will be your friend here ...

That was the right lead for me.  In the end I found vortexbox, a
fedora-based distro that combines various tools to make a generic ripping
appliance.  They include a bunch of the glue scripts to take some of the
headaches and learning from experience out of the mix.

So, now I have a collection that is backed up on original CDs and served
from my media box.  And I bunch of the old hardware that I had lying around
has been revisited, vortexbox installed, and exercised.  :-)

If you have a collection to rip, now would be a good time to mention it,
before I cast this stuff into kijiji, cheapcycle or the e-waste.

If you have a small collection and want to do it yourself, or don't want to
install a distro, I'd say use ripit.  ripit did a pretty good job of
tagging metadata and ripping automagically.