building a linux stereo receiver?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 28 19:04:26 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 12:31:32PM -0500, Mel Wilson wrote:
>> Another ARM system has appeared, at the next price-point up from the Pi:
>> <http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G135341370451&tab_idx=1>
>> Big jump in power and capacity.  Don't know if it has a future.
>
> Impressive, but no SATA, so I don't care. :(

The classic problem with the ARM designs is that they are almost
always designed in a
sort of "one shot" fashion, with no view to "next year, another model."

In the IA-32 and x86-64 realms, there's perpetually another
motherboard model just
around the corner, and I can expect that if I buy one next year, it'll
take advantage of
enhancements that have come over the course of that year, whether that
be new CPUs,
new RAM, or such.

Embedded systems, in contrast, have a pretty potent need to stay the same, which
is important if you're trying to integrate it into a well-defined set
of other hardware,
but not so much if the point of the exercise is a "portable computing point."

That doubtless makes life difficult for would-be vendors of ARM-based hardware;
do you pick stability of hardware design, and get the "embedded" market?  Or
trudge after "keep it up to date" to attract the "itty bitty server" market?