Little Linux Box Bits...

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 26 21:04:24 UTC 2013

FYI:

I see that Belkin is buying Linksys from Cisco
(http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/01/24/belkin-helps-cisco-exit-consumer-space-by-acquiring-its-home-networking-division-including-linksys/).
As far as I am concerned the Linksys boxes are just little Linux
boxes, as the first thing I will do when I get a Linksys router is
replace the factory firmware with a 3rd party firmware (of late I have
been using DD-WRT, but in the past I have used Tomato Linux). Those
Linksys models that can't be re-flashed with a reasonable 3rd party
Linux, I ignore. Not sure what (if anything) this change will mean to
those of us into 3rd party Linux routers, but something to keep an eye
on...

"Open Arena" has become the first "Adult" title in the Raspberry Pi
store (http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3131). "Open Arena" is a
first person shooter game based off the Quake III software. In the
game you are wandering through a series of large buildings, in each
building there are various weapons to be found as you hunt (and are
hunted by) other players. If you are killed, hitting the "fire" will
bring you back into the game within a few seconds, minus any weapons
you may have previously collected. First player to successfully kill
some number of other players (usually 15) wins. If you shoot another
player with a rocket (or one of the other high end weapons) you will
see body parts go flying, so the "Adult" rating came out of game
violence, NOT out of sex/nudity.

My take on "Quake III" the game "Open Arena" is based on can be seen
here : ftp://ftp.linuxjournal.com/pub/tux/tux017.pdf .

At one time I took an interest in LAN parties, people getting together
to play the same game against each other in the same room. The
problems with LAN parties for me were things like moving desktop PCs
and LAN party people seemingly "needing" high end graphics cards that
were more expensive than what what I would pay for a whole PC. This is
all a long way round to ask if there would be an interest in a $35
(US) "Open Arena" LAN party? Okay, you can't get a Raspberry Pi fully
running for $35 (you need a keyboard, mouse, SD card, power supply,
etc.), but still... In other words reasonable cost for entry, plus
carrying a Raspberry Pi, keyboard, mouse, LCD monitor, etc. (assuming
you don't go for say a 50" screen) could all be done in a typical
knapsack / canvas shopping bag. Thoughts?

Colin McGregor