Linux "date" command ignores leap-seconds?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 17 21:26:07 UTC 2013

| From: Eric B <gyre-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org>

| On Wed, 16 Jan 2013, David Collier-Brown wrote:

Of course only you saw this since the list is still censoring DCB.  I
presume that he CCed you.

| Adjusting the epoch seems ugly; it should be a fixed point in
| time.

I absolutely agree.

So when should the epoch start?  23 October 4004BC?  Do we know the date of
creation, to the second?  Of course POSIX says the Epock starts in
Nixon's reign.  (Who remembers the Nixon Switch in UNIX?)

Once UNIX systems get into relatively different frames of reference,
we'll have to rethink this.  Time starts to look like GIT versions
with branches and awkward merges.