High Availability of a web server on a distributed cloud

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 14 14:54:50 UTC 2013

> It is relatively simple to distribute an application to a number of
servers and use haproxy to switch ip's. What I can't figure out is how to
switch make sure that the IP that points to ha-proxy can be moved easily if
that machine fails ?

You can use LVS as a load balancer. It will remove the dead system asap and
automatically put it back on distribution when it become available again.
> DNS round robin doesn't exactly work. I have a very limited understanding
of BGP is it possible to do without BGP ?

Yes, but a major overkill.  BGP is ideal to load balance between two or
more ISPs. Internally not a good solution.