Colemak keyboard

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 8 15:16:57 UTC 2013

On 8 January 2013 03:05, Molly Tournquist <mollytournquist-ifvz4xmYPRU at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Jan 5, 2013 4:20 PM, "D. Hugh Redelmeier" <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>> I've been interested in mechanical keys -- the story seems compelling.
>> I've tried Cherry MX Brown keys in a store (not a fair test) and was
>> not really impressed.
>>
>> I have seen mechanical keyboards with no engraved symbols.  Would that
>> do the job for you?  I learned to type on a mechanical typewriter with
>> no engraved keys.
>>
>> These people let you configure an expensive keyboard with Colemak
>> layout:
>>
>> <http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-v1-semi-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html>
>> They do seem to emphasize WASD (or ESDF).
>>
>> There might well be lots of other sources -- I didn't look.
>

> Not really, in fact, I'd even prefer keys with backlighting, especially red.
> I would definitly not go out of my way to get something like a das keyboard.
> though on the other hand an ergo kinesys would be a bit too much too. A
> "truly ergonomic" keyboard is tempting, but then again, so would be
> repurpossing a Japanese keyboard, what with the split up spacebar. And it
> kind of looks more impressive, sort of a bit revolutionary, if it's
> physically rearanged.
>
> But the "semi custom" ,,, product toolkit is a very interesting. While they
> emphasise WASD-differentiation, the gallery is full of all sorts of
> configurations. The color coding would certainly be purposefully dramatic
> with something like "Colemak extra wide". And they do have 105 key
> keyboards. so that is easily possible.

I bought a Coolermaster Quickfire about a year ago.  It's a fairly
standard keyboard but quite durable, without a numeric keypad, and
with Cherry blue switches.  Like Aaron I already own a dozen or so
keyboards so I really didn't need it ... but the Quickfire is quite
lovely and is now my second choice keyboard.  (First choice is a
Kinesis Advantage modded with Cherry blue switches - Kinesis's default
is Cherry brown which I don't like as much, your soldering iron is
your friend).

The Cherry blues are about as close as you can get to the old IBM
buckling springs without actually finding one of the very few buckling
spring manufacturers still out there.  You may not want that.

But I did find you a red back-lit keyboard with mechanical switches:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823129011

I've pointed you to the blue key model as that's my personal
preference, but they seem to come in the other Cherry keyswitch
colours.  Most people aren't as obsessed as I am with keyboards and
may find $120 a bit steep when a keyboard can be had for $5 at the
dollar store ... your call.

For anyone interested in turning a Kinesis "blue":

http://www.gilesorr.com/misc/keyboards/kinesisblue.html

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/