CD Ripper box

Stewart C. Russell scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 7 12:05:05 UTC 2013

On 06-01-13 15:09 , D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> What kind of data checking do you do?

The main one was to get around a kernel bug (which I hope is now fixed)
that would knock the CD drive's SCSI/CD-DA emulation out of whack, and
return a stream of zeroes instead of audio data. These produced
suspiciously small MP3 files, so I have a small Perl script that reads
the track duration, compares it to the file size, and flags anything
that's iffy.

Like James said, I also do strict filename checking, and this is derived
from the CD track information. All names/titles get smashed to
lower-case ASCII, and anything not in [A-Za-z0-9_] becomes an
underscore. Can get messy, but is unique.

I mostly listen through a SoundBridge and mt-daapd, so I seldom need to
trawl through the filesystem.

cheers,
 Stewart