UPS specs/recommendations?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 6 20:50:10 UTC 2013

  It's been years since I last bought one, I've forgotten everything,
plus there may be new technology available.  My home setup...
90% plus of the time I'm running 1 "desktop" PC, a 24" LCD monitor, and
an ADSL router-modem.  Occasionally, I'll update / sync my backup PC so
that I don't have to back to square 1 if/when my main PC fails.  That
means 2 PCs running.  How high a "VA" rating do I need?  The main things
I want it to do are...

* handle the 2 or 3 times a year there's a power-flicker or outage

* software/hardware compatablilty so that if the power is out more than
  a few minutes, my PC can execute "/usr/sbin/hibernate" to gracefully
  avoid panic-shutdown-and-fsck and possible data loss.

  How does Staples rate as a place to buy?  They seem to be the closest
store with UPS's.