CD Ripper box

Stewart C. Russell scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 6 19:52:50 UTC 2013

On 06-01-13 14:25 , James Knott wrote:

> How is it painful, unless you sit around waiting for each one?  I just
> start them up and go do something else.

Depends on the size of the collection. I did around 1100 CDs in the
summer of 2009. A Sempron box with two DVD drives, a Thinkpad with an
internal drive and an external USB, each running ABCDE (a command-line
wrapper to cdparanoia and lame) in two windows. It took about three
weeks of evening and weekend time.

I think I have a bunch of drives, if anyone has the case. It doesn't
need to be much of a machine, as what takes far longer than ripping is
verifying metadata and rip quality. Musicbrainz, freedb, and lots of
little data check scripts will be your friend here ...

cheers,
 Stewart