Suggestions for a 10-20TB linux compatible storage array ?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 28 21:57:17 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 04:41:55PM -0500, Christopher Browne wrote:
> Yep, neither option fills me with "warm fuzzies."
>
> I'd prefer, if using "budget hardware," to use software RAID, because
> RAID controllers tend to require specific-to-that-hardware tooling to
> do anything to the RAID array.  It's a TERRIBLE thing if the RAID
> controller fails and you can't access data on the disks without getting
> a replacement of the same model number (potentially tied to version
> + firmware version, as William suggests).
>
> On the other hand, it's also terrible if using software RAID with JBOD
> forces enormously more traffic across a not-quite-fast-enough-bus.
>
> There are two poisons here - you've got to pick one of them :-(.

Absolutely.  Some raid controllers you can in fact figure out how they
wrote the disks and recover, but not simple.

Software raid does need a higher skill level to manage though,given
changing disks and doing rebuilds isn't plug and play the way it is on
hardware raid in general.  Software raid can be faster and much more
flexible though.

I certainly have both in different setups (or in the case of my mythtv
box, it actually has both in one system.)

--
Len Sorensen