Suggestions for a 10-20TB linux compatible storage array ?

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 28 21:22:08 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 03:56:16PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 03:35:13PM -0500, William Park wrote:
> > 1.  <http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=14_207&item_id=040360>
> >     8-bay USB3 external from Mediasonic.
>
> No not that one.  That one does NOT have a RAID controller and instead
> it presents you with 8 seperate disks and then your OS has to do all
> the setup and maintainance of raid.  Huge hassle.  Also means all the
> extra reads/writes for parity data has to go over the connection too,
> making it much slower.
>
> You want the H8R2 model not the H82.

I picked non-RAID model, because I've heard that builtin controller is
crappy.  I guess you can try their hardware raid, and then opt for
software raid if not satisfied.

I generally don't like hardware raid because you're now locked to that
card/version/firmware.  Of course, you'd replace disks more often than
card itself, unless there is fire, lightning (happened to me), flood,
etc.

--
William