Suggestions for a 10-20TB linux compatible storage array ?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 28 15:40:44 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 07:16:19AM -0500, Dave Cramer wrote:
> Customer is looking for something under 5k, connected via USB, but I think
> the connection type is flexible.

USB?  Are they mad?  USB is often unreliable and it is slow.  I tried
connecting a 4.5TB external storage via USB because it was simple, and
it kept dropping off the bus under load a few times a day.  Switching to
eSATA on the same box made it perfectly reliable and much much faster.

USB3 should be better, but not too many machines have that yet.  Could be
added of course.

USB2 would take close to 4 days to transfer 10TB.

Something like this might do the job:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=14_207&item_id=040363

eSATA, USB3 are both nice options (and USB2 compatible should you
want to).  Putting in 8x2TB or 3TB should give you 14 or 21TB storage
with RAID5.

$400 for the box + 8 x $160 (WD Red 3TB) = $1680 for 21TB RAID5
$400 for the box + 8 x $120 (WD Red 2TB) = $1360 for 14TB RAID5

A USB3 or eSATA controller if needed should be cheap.

--
Len Sorensen