Suggestions for a 10-20TB linux compatible storage array ?

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 28 14:40:21 UTC 2013

> Customer is looking for something under 5k, connected via USB, but I
think the connection type is flexible.

Hmm, if USB is acceptable, speed is not a problem. Budget is also tight for
brand name storage.

Buy 2 or 3 servers with as many hard disk bays as possible. Then buy 1 or 2
TB drives and run software RAID over them. The merge all the resulting
storage using glusterfs.

You will get a solid fully redundant storage for all your systems. Not fast
enough for serious work in my opinion but stable and easily maintained.

If you want speed, use lusterfs or gfs2. Unfortunately glusterfs client is
slow as its not kernel based. Price you pay if you want a product that can
run on all Unix systems. Some people have been pushing them for Linux
kernel based client to improve throughput

William
> Dave Cramer
>

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 6:32 AM, Syed Faisal Akber <faisal-nMFrlatgk0VeoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org>
wrote:

>> How do you want to connect to it?
>> iSCSI, FC, or NFS?
>>
>> What is your budget?
>>
>> Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns How to
UNSUBSCRIBE: http://gtalug.org/wiki/Mailing_lists