DAVID CHIPMAN

Bob Jonkman bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 26 19:00:35 UTC 2013

There's been a whole raft of those over the last few days. They all have
the "sender's"[1] name in the subject line, they all originate from
Yahoo mail servers (which are also used by @rogers.com), and they're all
signed as authentic by DKIM.  Or maybe that's DMARC... What was the
point of signing headers again?

[1] In scare quotes, because I don't really believe that those people
actually sent the message. They're victims, not perpetrators.

The message also list a number of addresses in the To: field from the
victim's addressbook.

It's an attack on Yahoo's servers, not a drive-by vulnerability on web
browsers that access Yahoo's webmail site.  One of the message I
received was "from" a friend who passed away in 2011, so I *know* he
wasn't using a vulnerable browser or a malware infested computer.  Some
of the addresses listed in the To: field were from unpublished accounts
on a mail system we administered, so I'm pretty sure Yahoo's servers
were compromised, giving the attackers access even to dormant accounts.

I've also been receiving a ton of messages where the name in the From:
field is someone I know, but the e-mail address is something like
qwertysplat-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org Looks like that's a different spam engine...

In both cases my spam filter catches them nicely, except when the
message has been sent to a mailing list.  At least two mailing lists I
manage have been spammed this way, and now the TLUG list too.

--Bob.

--
Bob Jonkman <bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> http://sobac.com/sobac/
SOBAC Microcomputer Services Phone: +1-519-669-0388