Little linux backup box - wisdom required

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 22 17:57:56 UTC 2013

On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 22:03:59 -0500
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 08:31:43PM -0500, Howard Gibson wrote:
> >    I burn the tarball directly to the disc.  I don't make an ISO.
> >    Only I need to read this stuff.
>
> Hmm... what command (and options) do you use?  Can you do that with
> DVD-RW or CD-RW?
> --
> William

William,

   This varies depending on your setup and probably your brand of Linux.  Note that I am logged in as root.

How I burn to my DVD...

# growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/sr1=/backup/RevHome.01; eject /dev/sr1

How I burn to my Blu-ray...

# growisofs -Z /dev/sr0=/backup/RevHome.01; eject /dev/sr0

For CDs, I used to go...

# cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=ATA:1,0,0 /backup/RevHome.01

   My old CD burner was SCSI.  /backup/RevHome.01 is my backup file, in whatever format I chose.

   Basically, the standard for CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays that everyone can read is ISO9660.  Actually, you can burn whatever you damn well please to them.  For backups, either you don't care about other people, or you actively hate them.  You just have to log in as root and use the command line.  I have used Brasero to burn an ISO file to DVD.  Maybe it will burn other stuff.

   Recovering the files from DVD is easy...

# tar tvf /dev/sr1

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org