bad blocks on SATA disk: another war story and a request for advice

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 19 17:02:25 UTC 2013

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 04:42:52PM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> This makes me think that I should just discard the drive because it
> will be more trouble than it is worth.  But being a hacker, I will
> play with it a bit more.

Last time I got bad sectors, I set up a partition (1GB) containing those
bad sectors.  But, soon, the number and size of "bad partitions" grow.

Real advice is to get a SSD. :-)

> The disk is a Hitachi 5K750 HTS547575A9E384 750G 2.5" drive.  I bought
> it as an external drive because that was cheaper than a bare drive.  I
> cracked it open and installed it in my nettop.  Consequently there is
> no warranty on it as far as I know.

I did the same with Hitachi 3GB USB harddisk, and it soon gave me so
much errors that it was unusable.  If someone wants a dead-ish 3TB
harddisk, let me know.
--
William