Ubuntu Network Restart Required with Rogers (?) and Setting Modem Password

Stephen stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 11 15:38:19 UTC 2013

I have the Cisco DPC3825 modem/router.

Three times in the last week, "something" happened, and networking hung
on my Ubuntu system. The modem lights went a bit crazy and seemed to
recycle. I did not have to reset networking on my Laptop that runs
Windows 7, but while the modem was funky I could not access email.

Any thoughts on this?

A bit of a worry is that I tried to access the modem control panel using
my browser. I could not log in, despite my browser populating the
credentials automatically. The account id was "admin".

I called Rogers tech support and they advised that the admin id was
"cusadmin". And they told me the default password, which worked.

WTF? I can't say for certain that I failed to change the default
password, but I am pretty good at doing so.

I tried to change the default password for "cusadmin" but when I saved I
was prompted asking if I wanted to change the password for "admin" or
for "<>". WTF?

I Googled a bit and found reference to a super admin credential that
Rogers keep to itself. But nothing all that clear.

I am guessing that Rogers "upgraded" the firmware to my modem without my
knowledge.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Especially changing the password.

Thanks!

--
Stephen