Conversation with Rogers

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 10 00:56:02 UTC 2013

 You are chatting with Tracy.Rogers Live Chat
10:29 PM  Connecting...
10:29 PM  Connected. A support representative will be with you shortly.
10:29 PM  Support session established with Tracy.
10:29 PM  	Tracy:
Hi, you've reached Tracy. How may I help you?
10:30 PM  	James:
Hi. We have Rogers High Speed Express internet and we have received a
message that we have hit our bandwidth usage for the month. It says
our cap is 60GB but the comparison on your website says it should be
80GB. Why the discrepancy?
10:30 PM  	Tracy:
There is a newer product code for Express which provides 80GB/month of
usage, however you are required to have the enhanced home networking
gateway modem which is $7/month plus tax to rent as our other modems
aren't compatible with this code due to the speed/usage requirements.
If you're currently renting either a DOCSIS modem for $4/month plus
tax or a home networking gateway modem for $5.50/month plus tax, they
are not compatible with this and you would need to exchange your modem
for the enhanced home networking gateway modem to receive the code
which provides 80GB/month of usage and the faster speed.
10:30 PM  	Tracy:
Do you know if this is the type of modem you currently have? If you're
not sure, I can certainly check your account for you.
10:31 PM  	James:
I am pretty sure we have the older modem.
10:31 PM  	Tracy:
You would just need to take your current modem & power cord (if
applicable) and exchange it at a Rogers store for the enhanced home
networking gateway. Once this is updated on your account, at the same
time, they should add the newer product code for Express so that
you'll start receiving 80GB/month of usage. You can find your closest
location to do so at the following link:
10:31 PM  Tracy has sent a link: www.rogers.com/storelocator
10:31 PM  	James:
What if we don't want to pay more for the modem? I have a home network
set up that works quite well as it is.
10:33 PM  	Tracy:
Unfortunately without this modem, the current modem isn't compatible
with the usage & speed requirements for the newer code with 80GB. I
believe you can disable the wireless part of the modem if you prefer
to use your own router, etc. Internet technical support would be able
to advise you how this can be done. If you wanted to check & see if
this would be an option, please follow this link for assistance
http://echat.rogers.com, agents are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a
week.
10:34 PM  	James:
I have a Masters degree in computer engineering. I would appreciate it
if you could explain to me how a modem is "compatible" with a
bandwidth cap.
10:35 PM  	Tracy:
The new bandwidth cap, as well as the higher download/upload speed are
both included in the newer product code for this. Unfortunately it's
not able to add one without the other. I apologize for the
inconvenience.
10:35 PM  	James:
We don't need the higher speeds, just the bandwidth cap that we are paying
for.
10:36 PM  	Tracy:
I do understand that, however the 80GB is only included in the code
that also provides the faster speeds and cannot be added on it's own
unfortunately. There's no way in the system to do so.
10:38 PM  	James:
Perhaps someone should look into that. It appears to me that this is a
shameless money grab to get people to pay more for a modem.
10:38 PM  	Tracy:
I can certainly forward your feedback regarding this & apologize for
any frustration that this may cause. Were there any other questions
you had at this time?
10:39 PM  	James:
Can you suggest another internet provider?
10:39 PM  	Tracy:
I'm sorry to hear you're thinking of cancelling do to this.You would
need to call our customer relations department to process a
cancellation request. They can be reached at 1-888-764 -3771 and are
open 8am-midnight EST Mon-Fri and 8am-9pm Sat & Sun (EST).
10:40 PM  	James:
Thanks *so much* for your help and automated responses.

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto