Gnome Goes JavaScript

William Weaver williamdweaver-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 5 21:34:04 UTC 2013

>>I find that people, once properly indoctrinated into object orientation
>>dogmas, are frequently painfully unaccepting of the notion that there are
>> other programming paradigms that might be of value, slavishly trying to
>>force everything into the procrustean bed represented by whichever "OO"
>>language was the first one they got excited about.

That also seems like a pretty opinion laden and heavy handed stereotype. I
personally switch between Java, C, and tcl in my day to day and find that I
take the approach that makes the most sense for the task at hand. I
wouldn't force a C library into an object paradigm that would be best
served with another model but I also wouldn't deny myself a simple object
oriented approach in Java when it allows for large designs to be quickly
templated and abstracted in some cases saving me hours of work that are
replaced with fully featured and well planed for inherited objects.

Personally I believe each job should be evaluated as to what is the right
tool for it. By your definition I must not be "properly indoctinated" as I
maintain free choice about how I choose to approach problems. I would
suggest though before completely dismissing a programing
paradigm that is very popular you consider that there is often a reason for
such popularity. Sometimes it might be the right tool for the job.

William Weaver