Gnome Goes JavaScript

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 5 20:38:01 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 02:53:40PM -0500, Scott Elcomb wrote:
> I'm not really a fan of coffeescript but have to admit some interest
> in Microsofts' typescript which also compiles to js:
>
> <http://www.typescriptlang.org/>
>
> As for elegant javascript, anecdotal evidence suggests it's dependent
> on skill level. John Resig's simple inheritance model comes to mind as
> a good example <http://ejohn.org/blog/simple-javascript-inheritance/>.
> "Learning JavaScript Design Patterns" by Addy Osmani provides more
> <http://addyosmani.com/resources/essentialjsdesignpatterns/book/>.

I consider objected oriented programming to be a Bad Thing in general.

> Some of the node.js developers are downright awe inspiring.  While not
> particularly "elegant," dnsserver.js - an authoritative DNS server -
> is still one of my favorite examples of javascript outside of the
> browser environment.  Clocks in at < 500 lines, comments and empty
> lines included.
>
> <https://github.com/sh1mmer/dnsserver.js>

Not bad.  434 lines (including generous good comments).

Not sure how much the 'use' statements add toit, but system library use
is not a bad thing.

OK, apparently it is possible to write pretty decent looking javascript.
I still don't think I will consider it elegant, but that's personal
taste too.

--
Len Sorensen